Finally I found some lovely light fabric that I could use to create a pair of trousers. Now I have to be honest trousers are kinda scary for me. Skirts are so easily adjustable - tops can be fitted or loose and flowing but trousers have all sorts of funny complexities that have scared me off for a long time.
I decided to follow a pattern because although I love the idea of folding a pair of trousers I love in half and going from there I just wasn't convinced that my understanding of trouser construction was solid enough to go with that method. I used the March Prima pattern which was for a loose pair of culotte style trousers. I used to own a pair of denim ones and lived in them so happily set to cutting and pinning.
I found that once I had cut all of the pieces out everything made a lot more sense - when I look at the paper pattern it is hard for me to envisage how it will fit together - once in fabric I can see it much more clearly. I was actually surprised by how simply I found the whole pattern. Don't get me wrong my finished product is not perfect but in terms of understanding what I was doing the majority of making trousers is about matching seams and sewing neatly.