I was recently lent a pattern to make a weekender bag. Now I have a sewing machine that works I am finding my enthusiasm for trying more challenging projects is growing. So I sat down a few weeks ago to begin the challenge.
I decided to use the same striped fabric that I had used for my cushions earlier in the month - basically because I just loved it so much! The whole bag is quilted including the straps which made it a lot more time consuming than I had originally anticipated. But I got my walking foot set up on the machine and after a bit of you tubing to understand how a walking foot actually works I set off on the quilting.
I am super impressed with how much easier it is to do quilting with the correct set up on the machine. I was sewing fabric, wadding and another layer of fabric and it was pleasingly obedient. After a good block of time quilting I was able to start on the construction. I over locked everything using the stitches on the machine rather than my over locker (just to try them out :) ) and then was able to use straight stitches to join the pieces together. The actual construction of the bag was pretty straight forward. Lots of straight lines and the instructions I had borrowed as well as being able to see what someone else had made led to a pretty straight forward sewing job.
And here it is - stripey and proud. I love the way the handles go right underneath the bag making it super secure.